The castle now houses a museum, with restricted opening times and entrance charges.
Remains of 16th century castle where Mary, Queen of Scots stayed following her escape from Loch Leven Castle in 1568.
[Up to 1834] [After 1834] [Staff] [Inmates] [Records] [Bibliography] [Links] Glossop Township workhouse was erected in 1832-4, just before the passing of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act.
Glossop Poor Law Union formally came into existence on 5th December 1837.
Due to its border location, Caerlaverock was besieged several times by the English.
Remains of small fortified tower, dating from the late 15th century.
In the centuries that followed, the castle changed hands several times until 1629, when it became the seat of the Clan Murray.
As supporters of the Royalist cause, the castle was attacked and taken by Oliver Cromwell’s Parliamentarian Army in 1660.
At some workhouses inmates made their own clothing which provided useful work and also saved the union money.