30 most intimidating baseball players

6854933580_2c8b688306_z

Various PEDs are banned from usage in all major sports in the United States.In 2009, Alex Rodriguez, who admitted to using steroids, told ESPN, “When I arrived in Texas in 2001, I felt an enormous amount of pressure.The event triggered a lifelong alcohol and cocaine addiction, suicide attempts and multiple incarcerations.He was declared dead four different times due to drug overdoses. Professional golfer John Daly grew up around alcohol, which led to his own problems with the substance. It’s what we did back then.” According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the arts, entertainment and recreation industry ranked second in past-month illicit drug use and third in past-year substance use disorder rates from 2008 to 2012. Drug use has claimed the lives of numerous prominent professional athletes.“He had such easy access to prescription medicines.” Former NFL quarterback Jim Mc Mahon said he received hundreds of injections and pills from team medical professionals, including Percocet, Toradol and amphetamines, per The Washington Post.In recent years, professional leagues have been publicly scrutinized for contributing to this epidemic.

Louis Baxter Sr., executive medical director of the Professional Assistance Program of New Jersey and immediate past president of the American Society of Addiction Medicine, told The New York Times.

I felt like I had all the weight of the world on top of me and I needed to perform, and perform at a high level, every day.” Many injured athletes use drugs to accelerate their recovery. Athletes in speed and power sports often use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs as their remedy.

According to a 2008 study published in Sports Medicine, elite athletes use medications to treat asthma more frequently than the general population does.

Athletes obtain addictive substances from medical and nonmedical sources.

For example, Michael Bell, a former professional wrestler, received hundreds of painkillers from fellow wrestlers, which triggered an addiction. Bell’s brother Chris chronicled Michael’s story in “Prescription Thugs,” a documentary about America’s legal drug abuse problem.

These drugs are most common in endurance sports like cycling and swimming. Football player Erik Ainge took prescription painkillers for a broken finger in college, which gave way to an addiction that continued for years.

You must have an account to comment. Please register or login here!